What actions do I need to take to notify someone that I am the victim of fraud?

  1. Notify your HR department so they can coordinate with Thomas & Company to alert the state of the issue.
  2. Notify the State Workforce Agency directly that you have been a victim of fraud. They will likely need information from you to confirm your identity that only you can provide. Whenever possible, we recommend notifying the state online as it is more efficient and faster for both you and the state agency.
  3. Report the identity theft on the FTC website (https://www.identitytheft.gov/#/unemploymentinsurance/) to file an official report and develop a recovery plan based on the information that you provided. The FTC has added a special section to their site specific to Unemployment Benefits Identity Theft that can be found in the upper right-hand corner of the FTC web site.
  4. Contact your bank, credit card companies and all three credit reporting agencies (Experian, TransUnion and Equifax) to place a freeze on your credit reports to further protect your identity during the investigation.

  5. Identity Theft Protection programs may also be available to you through your employer.  If you are not currently enrolled or a program is not offered by your employer, we have partnered with Aura Identity Guard, a leader in identity theft protection, to provide you protection for a low monthly rate.  Aura is unique in that you will be assigned a dedicated Case Manager as a single point of contact to assist with:

      1. Contacting the state workforce agency to help resolve the UI Fraud claim.
      2. Determining if you have been a victim of other identity theft and help you resolve it.
      3. Providing ongoing protection from fraud to help achieve personal and financial goals.

    For more information about Aura Identity Guard, please visit (identityguard.com/thomasco).

Was this article helpful?